Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

It All Starts With Someone

When I was little I always watched football with my family. It would be our Sunday routine. We would go to the store and stock up on junk food, put our jerseys on, and watch the game. I always admired the guys that played on the big screen. I looked up to them, not only as athletes, but as people. I always wanted to play football and I strived to be as good as them. Whenever I went to practice I would think about how hard they hit and I always thought I could do the same. You're probably thinking, where are you going with this?
A couple weeks ago I had a girl approach me who wanted to interview me for a school project. I gladly said yes. She wanted to know everything about football. She told me she was inspired by me and that she was thinking of playing.
Also, about a month ago my boyfriend's little sister told me she was so excited because her parents finally said she was allowed to play football.
It's crazy to my knowing that I'm the reason some girls want to play the sport. I'm the guy on the big screen for them.
During the summer I'm excited because I will be able to help coach my boyfriend's little sister, Ella. She will be playing on my little brother's team, who is 44-0. It's nice because my dad coaches the line for their team and that's the position she will be playing and coincidentally the position that I play. I'm so excited to see her progression throughout the year and hopefully she has as much of a blast as I do when I play.
Another exciting thing this summer is GOAT Camp, where I also have the opportunity to coach. GOAT Camp stands for greatest of all time, it is in memory of Aaron Alford (former athletic director that passed away). This is a camp where over 150 kids come from the ages of 8-14 to learn and play the game of football. This past summer there was one girl in the midst of all the boys. She was confident and it was awesome to watch her. It's an easy and fun camp for girls to get the feel of playing with the boys without any contact. I'm encouraging more girls to go and hopefully I get to have the privilege of coaching some of them.
Coaches and high school players at the Goat Camp this past summer

Seeing these girls looking up to me has inspired me to do better. Knowing that I'm a role model to even one person is mind blowing to me. You never know these girls might start varsity some day, more girls might start playing, a girls league may form. It all starts with someone. One motivational person can give someone the last push to do what they've always wanted.

1 comment: