Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

October 2, Park City vs Highland Junior High

No bus ride. Home game. Highland Junior High. All the guys were looking forward to being at home and playing on our field. Immediately after school ended we all walked to the high school together. Everyone got taped, dressed, put in their headphones, and focused. Personally, I always get nervous before games, but I was especially nervous for this one because my grandparents flew in to watch me. After the nerves finally subsided I was able to start talking about the game with coaches and the guys. Our defensive coordinator had a play where the defensive line (me) switched to go to linebackers during the cadence, that was the only big change we had. Other than that we were ready to play our game of football.

After we all got onto the field we started dynamics and ended with miner-jacks. The captains were called up, we differed, and the game had started. The game was going well, we had scored a couple touchdowns and I realized I had met the refs prior to this season. One of them had ejected my dad from a game the previous year (my dad gets very competitive and usually argues multiples times with the refs). The other ref was an old, but very happy ref. They were both making conversation with me during the game which I thought was pretty funny. Sometimes I thought (not trying to be conceited) they were focusing on me more than making the actual calls. Also, during the game I tackled a kid who I later found out was Devante. He asked my name after a play and kept saying ,"Good job Morgan!" after I got a tackle.

The game ended and the final score was 39-0. We had finally won a game!! That sounds terrible knowing we were so happy for winning a single game, but baby steps are always a good thing.
Sage, Kris, and I after the game :)

We had a talk with our coaches in the end zone, they congratulated us, and right after I made the guys take pictures. The guys have gotten used to me acting like a girl at certain points and they always agree to take pictures. Once pictures were done and the boys left I ran and hugged my grandparents, I was so happy they were able to watch the game we actually won! Preston also came over and gave me a hug and introduced himself to my grandparents.
Preston and I after the game :)

I said my goodbyes and went to leave for the locker room. On the way down I saw four of the guys we had just played against. One of them introduced himself as Devante (the kid that kept saying good job to me during the game) and told me his name was one to remember. I always enjoy guys that are nice to me and accept me as a player in the game, not just a girl.

Stay tuned for next week when the freshman team takes on Bear River!




1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Morgan... It's so funny to hear about our football team behind the scenes of them being on the field and a little bit scary. Since I am a cheerleader, and I do cheer at football games you should check out my blog http://ksmith18pc.blogspot.com and maybe you'll like some of my posts!

    ReplyDelete